Wednesday, November 28, 2018

The Plaid Skirt Dress

Hello Readers. I was really inspired by a refashion I saw recently. Sarah Tyau made a great dress from a plaid coat. I loved it so much, I knew what I wanted to make from this plaid skirt. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, right?


Here my original plaid skirt. I really liked it because of the buckle accent at the top and the awesome fringe at the bottom. I didn't want to say good bye to either one of them, but how could I incorporate them both into something new?


The skirt had a zipper on one side to get it on and off. I needed that, so I started pinning the other side to get the fit right.

Side zipper.                             Pins.

I made a simple straight knee-length skirt. It still has the buckle that I loved so much. But I had to cut off all that fringe. That's OK, I had a plan to use it too.


Here is my fringe. I cut it all off in a narrow strip of fabric and there was just enough of the plaid material for my shoulder straps.


I used the extra fabric to make the front bib and a little pocket.


I was stitching it all together and I had an idea. What is that white stuff there? It's Velcro! Here is where it gets really fun.


I stitched the pocket to the front bib, and the bib to the straps with fringe. The Velcro is holding the bib to the skirt. I decided to use Velcro so I could wear the skirt by itself if I wanted to. The whole outfit stayed together really well, but it was easy to take apart too.
The straps have Velcro in the back to attach them to the skirt too.

 
 *****     PART 2     *****

I made some leggings to go with the dress so I could stay warm. It is cold out there!
 I used this knit skirt. It was a thin knit with a lot of stretch.


I cut out some leg shapes and put them together. (I had a pattern for pants that I used as a guide.) I tapered the legs a bit more and I was ready to go.


You can see my leggings/tights here. They were comfortable like all leggings. I also wore them as pajamas later.


Thanks for reading along, now go make some thing fun for yourself.

*Year end update- It has been a month since I made this and I still enjoy wearing it. I always wear the bib and straps so I connected them permanently with my sewing machine.

No comments: