Tuesday, June 6, 2017

The Cat Shirt Fail

Hello Readers. I love to go on Pinterest and get ideas for projects. They don't always work out well but it is fun to try new ideas. I saw a cute shirt that had a cat face cut out of it. It seemed so simple, in reality it was difficult. You can see the original creation here. It was on Etsy as well, but listed as no longer available.


I had several black T-shirts I had collected so I thought I could safely attempt this project and be sure to get it right eventually. I started by tracing my cuts on a black T-shirt. I thought I would make some cuts and be done in five minutes. I was a fool. I didn't realize how difficult this shirt would be to make and wear.


ATTEMPT #1
Well, the whiskers look like a rib cage and I forgot to keep a thin line of fabric to divide the nose in half. Oops. My chest was sort of distorting the cat in an awkward way too. That's OK, I will keep trying.


ATTEMPT #2
I got the nose correct but the whiskers are right over my boobs and look like a rib cage again. They need to be more narrow and closer to the nose. It just looks weird. I will try again.


ATTEMPT #3
I got the eye placement wrong on this one and forgot to keep a thin line of fabric across the eyes. It was difficult to put on the shirt without a boob poking out of an eye hole. Having a woman's chest is a serious problem for this shirt idea.


ATTEMPT #4
Yes, this is the fourth shirt I was cutting up. It already had the sleeves cut off but I didn't think it would matter for this project. I got the eyes and nose placed correctly and divided with a thin line of fabric. I cut slits in the fabric for whiskers. They opened up on their own when I put it on. I think this is the best I can do. And I am out of black T-shirts, so that's it for now. 


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

No comments: