Hello Readers. How are you today? I had a couple of shirts that I thought went well together, but didn't fit. I liked the black and white color scheme. I also wanted to fix these because I never seem to have any clean long sleeve tops. I have a toddler now, so I am usually behind on laundry. That may be part of the problem. Anyway....on to the sewing.
I began with the T-shirt. It was too big and the neck gaped open when I leaned over. I mentioned the toddler already, I am always leaning over and picking stuff up off the floor. A lot of times I am picking the toddler up off the floor. I need a shirt that can handle my lifestyle.
I started by turning the shirt inside out and folding it down the middle of the back. I used my machine to stitch a new seam and then cut off the excess to remove 2-3 inches of material. This caused the neck line to be pulled back enough that I wouldn't flash anyone when I wore this.
Then I narrowed the sides by about 2 inches. I tried it on and then took another 2 inches from the sides. The arms didn't need to have as much removed from them as the body did. I like to try things on in the middle to see how my refashion is going. It usually works better for me to check my work as I go along.
You can see the change in the fit of the shirt here. It is still comfortable but it's not so baggy. The new close fit let's me layer on top of it easily.
Here is the second piece of the of the project. This striped cardigan was big in a way I liked but, the arms were so big I couldn't get the sleeves to stay pushed up. They were too long so I couldn't just leave them the way they were. And this cardigan was a great partner for the T-shirt, it needed to be fixed.
I stitched a new seam on each arm, using the existing seam as a guide. I removed about 2 inches of fabric from the wrist and less from the upper arm area. It is a knit so there was no fraying to worry about.
The sleeves can stay pushed up now, so I can wear this cardigan and have full use of my hands too. I liked the loose fit through the body so, I left it alone.
The third piece of this project was a scrap that I found when I cleaned up my sewing area. I refashioned this fruit covered dress in the Fall. I cut the bottom 12 inches off and left the cut off piece in the scrap pile. I immediately forgot about it, but found it again when I did a recent clean up. My daughter said it would make a great scarf. Hmmm,,,,,OK!
This material looks like multi-colored dots from a distance but up close,,, IT'S FRUIT BABY!
I removed the buttons and connected the fabric so it made a big circle. I also stitched the raw edge under. It had a great drape to it and it was perfect for a scarf. This took all of 3 minutes. I can't believe I forgot about it for so long. I should clean more often. (But I don't want to!)
All three of these ideas were very simple, and they just happened to all go together.
Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.