Tuesday, October 6, 2026

The Simpilicity 8175 Skirt

 Hello Readers. I love to try new patterns and today I am trying the short skirt from Simplicity 8175. Simplicity is usually pretty simple so hopefully I can do this well. I have some modifications I want to try too. Let's do it! 

 New skirt using 2 fabrics.  

 
I am going to make the shorter skirt on the cover of the pattern. I am using the paisley material but I will add some of the green for the pockets and a waist tie. I am making that part up as I go along. 
 
I cut out all my pattern pieces as directed. I used the paisley for everything except the pieces that make the pocket. For the pocket pieces closest to the body, I am using the green. It will be a small but visible pop of color. 

Here are all the skirt pieces layered as they would be when they are sewn together. It helps me to see them all together.
 
Here is the skirt sewn mostly together. When I sewed the pieces I put the right sides together and then turned them right-side out. This was a great pattern, it went together easily. 
 
Here are the waistband pieces. There is one for the front and one for the back. They are supposed to be sewn together and a zipper added to get in and out. I didn't want a zipper. Zippers look nice but they lock in the size of the waistband and do not stretch of let me have ANY extra room. This was not a stretch fabric so I didn't want a zipper. Let me show you what I did instead. 
 
I attached the waistband but did not sew this side of it together. Here is where I am going to deviate from the plan. I am going to add a couple pieces of fabric to the waistband and make a tie on that side. The pocket is not fully closed at the top so that is how I will get in and out of it. 
 
The outside of the tie is the paisley material but the other side of the ties is the green fabric. This will harmonize with the pockets and add a little more of that fun green color.
 
When the skirt is worn and tied on the side it will stay closed, my stomach will be covered but I can tie the tie a bit tighter or looser depending on how many cookies I had the day before. I really like clothes that are adjustable and allow for a bit of size change. Who doesn't gain or lose a bit around the middle at times?
  
This skirt is perfect because it is pumpkin spice season and it is still 98 degrees where I live this week. We are hot!! Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.  

 

 

 



 

No comments: