Sunday, July 17, 2022

Make a Model of Yourself for Sewing

 Hello Readers. Sewing is a lot of work. One tool I really like to have is a dress form. A dress form can hold the clothes while you work on them. Most modern dress forms are adjustable and you can easily change the size to match your size. But what if you don't have a fancy modern dress form. Read on for an easy way to make a perfect model of yourself to use in your sewing.

Chickie W.U. and her perfect match.

I gathered all kinds of padding. I used the removable cups from some bras and some soft cotton batting. I also grabbed a few elastic rolled bandages with Velcro edges. Then I used a tape measure to see exactly what my current size was. 
 
I started with the bust and kept adding bra pads until I got a size measurement that was close to my own body. The closer it is, the better it will be for trying clothes on it and seeing if they will fit me well. 
 
When my dress form was all finished it looked a little like a mummy. I wrapped the bandages tight to hold all the different padding in place. The Velcro on the bandages has held on well and my dress form has stayed wrapped with no problems.
 
When I measured and added padding I tried to be ruthlessly honest about where I was bigger than the dress form. That includes the stomach and bum. If the clothes are too small for the dress form than I know they will be too small for me. This is going to help me make accurate sized clothes. This is not the time to pretend that 3 kids has not changed my body. I have a mom tummy. It is what it is. My dress form is a little lumpy (So am I.) but it has worked great for sewing.
 
Here is a bit more about the padding and wrapping. Thanks for reading along, I hope this idea helps in your sewing.
*Year End Note From Chickie- This is so useful! I wish I had done this sooner. I use it all the time when I sew.

 


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great! And looks easier to use than the adjustables. Thanks for the inspiration!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for the comment! It really was easy to put together and It helps to see the clothe from all angles.
Chickie

jenny_o said...

Brilliant! Now I need to investigate basic forms. It would be so much easier to alter clothing with a form to work on. I've seen the forms made from duct tape over your body but I don't think I could tolerate the feeling of not being able to take a deep breath while it was being done -- and I don't have anyone to help me anyway. This is a great way to get the right shape instead. Thanks for sharing this!

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny,
I tried the duct tape idea and it was better than nothing but it was very uncomfortable to make. It was like being a mummy. It did work as long as the person wrapping you doesn't wrap too tight.
Chickie