Friday, May 22, 2020

The Velco Wrap Skirt

Hello Readers. How are you doing lately? Things are not really back to normal are they? I have worn a lot of leggings and t-shirts in the last 2 months of quarantine. Let's get dressed today. I made this wrap skirt quite a while ago but never posted about it. 

 My mother-in-law has given me a lot of fabric over the years. She worked in a fabric store for about 20 years. The store she worked in sold fabric for home decor. It is sometimes difficult to make clothing from the heavy weight of interior fabrics but I can try! I had a small piece of burgundy brocade sitting in the closet.
 This fabric is in my 5 year olds closet. Thank goodness he doesn't need to hang any clothes. 

It was a scrap piece and it was a long skinny rectangle. I had so idea what I could do with it until I noticed it was long enough to wrap around my hips with some overlap. I could make a wrap skirt! 
I had no pattern so I just held it up to my body and started pinning. I knew I needed to make the waist smaller so I make 3 large tucks. I made 1 in the center back and 1 on each side at the waist.
 The high-tech red lines are to show where the tucks are.

I also made 2 small tucks in the front. I was just experimenting and trying to get this skirt to fit. I made tucks where I thought they would look and work best.

I needed to find a way to make the skirt stay on my body. I didn't know how to make button holes at the time so I decided to use Velcro. It works so well, I never changed it to anything else.

 I turned the top and bottom edges under and made the smallest waistband and hem that I could. I didn't have a lot of extra fabric to play with. The golden-yellow selvage edge is what you see on the front of the skirt. I liked the yellow and the used it as the front of my wrap skirt. This fabric is heavy but it was a great weight for this skirt. It doesn't blow around and the brocade is soft like chenille.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

No comments: