Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Denim Days; The Skirt

Hello Readers. One way I get items to refashion for this blog is hand-me-downs. This denim skirt was a hand-me-down from someone I have known for ages. (Thanks C.G.)


This denim skirt was in great shape and had some stretch, which I love. It didn't really fit, so I needed to fix that. I really wanted a more high-waisted denim skirt. The skirt sat low on my hips.


I wanted to make new side seams but I didn't want to lose the belt loops. I used my seam ripper to remove the two loops that were going to be lost in the new side seams. I planned to reattach them when I was done.


This was a super simple way to change the size of the skirt. I was able to curve in at the waist and make the perfect high-waisted fit I could. The smaller waist made the skirt sit higher on my waist.
 *****     BONUS TRACK     *****

The weather changed and we had a little heatwave. So, I decided to fix up a tank top to go with the skirt.


 This tank fit well but the straps were too long and made the neckline too low. I cut the straps right at the shoulder seam. At first I was going to simply shorten them.


 But then I had an idea. I decided to tie the straps into loose knots and then reconnect the straps. I thought the knots would be an easy way to make the tank top more visually interesting and shorten them at the same time.


Here is a picture of actual sewing. I know, big deal.


Here are the skirt and the tank together. They were great on a hot humid day.


Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- This skirt is now a wardrobe staple. I love it.

No comments: