Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Scarf to Top

 Hello Readers. I found this 2-piece set at a thrift store and loved it so much. It has wine & cheese and martinis & olives all over it. It was also very comfy to wear. I was sold. 

Before and after.

Here is the problem. There was no matching top, just a matching scarf. I really wanted a matching top to go with these very unique pants. So, I decided to make one. The only fabric I had was the scarf so it was going to have to work. Could I make a top of some kind with this square of fabric? I was going to try. 
 
I folded the fabric in half. To make a top that fir all the way around my body I would need all this fabric.
 
I cut the square in half. I had 2 identical rectangles here. I wanted to be careful with the pattern. I didn't want some of it to be upside down. 
 
The simplest top I could think of was a tube top. I would need all of one rectangle and most of the second to make a top big enough. This cotton had no stretch at all. It could not be tight, it had to be roomy so I could move and breathe. 
 
I sewed my pieces together to make a tube. 
 
And here is my tube. It is not even near done. And I want straps, I don't really like strapless tops. Let's keep going. 
 
I had these two end pieces left over. Could I make straps from these? I think I can. 
 
I folded the edge over and sewed it down. I put elastic through that casing to make a wide puffy strap. I was just making this up as I went and hoping for the best. I didn't have enough fabric to make real sleeves so wide straps was going to be what I ended up with. 
 
I turned the edge of the top under and sewed that down. I put narrow elastic through that casing top keep the top edge close to my body.Then I pinned my straps in place. Having a dress form made this easy. 
  
I sewed across the fabric where the pins were to attach the straps to the top. 
 
I cut the pants shorter and made a new hem. I am short so I usually, almost always, need to shorten my pant legs.
 
I can tuck the top in or...
 
I can leave it out. The straps cover my shoulders and I like how it turned out. Thanks for reading along, now go make something for yourself. 
 


 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

No comments: