Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Tea Tins to Plant Pots

 Hello Readers. I love to re-use containers and packaging. It is sustainable and better for the environment, it's saves money to re-use rather than buy new containers. And sometimes containers can be so cute, like these tea tins. They are really pretty. You can also try this with other sturdy aluminum containers or cans.

Look at my new plant pots. 

I love tea and drink it every day. This brand is a favorite of mine. The tea comes in these super cute containers. They are a very sturdy but light-weight metal, and each flavor comes in a different color tin. There is sure to be a color tin and/or a flavor of tea you will love. Let's re-use these containers and make a little herb garden for my kitchen window. 
 
Each of these containers has a lid that fits on top and I planned to use the lids too. These containers are a great size for small plants. I am going to plant herbs but any little plant you like would work here. 
 
There was a flat bottom in each container. The container will need a way to drain extra water out or the roots of the plant could get too soggy. I would need to make a hole in the bottom of each tea container for drainage.
 
I used a power drill with a small drill bit. The size is not that important, Any small sized drill bit will be fine. 
 
 
The drill went through the thin metal quickly and easily. 
 
I made my small hole and it wasn't even centered perfectly but it's still going to work, so don't worry and don't over-think it.  
 
I needed some potting soil into the containers for the plants. 
  
I added a bit of the potting soil into the tea tins before I put the plants in.
 
I grabbed these small herb plants when I was at the grocery store last time. I hope they like their new home in my kitchen. 
 
I gently removed the wrapping and pot from the plant. 
 
I added the plant to the container. It was smaller than the new pot but that's OK, it gives the plant room to grow. 
 
I poured more of the potting soil to the side of the container. This will fill in the container and keep the plant in place securely and give the roots space to spread out as they grow.
 
I placed the lid of each container upside-down on the window sill. This is going to act as a drainage dish. 
 
I put each plant on it's lid. The upside down lid can catch any excess water and that will keep the window sill nice and neat. This is a sunny window so that will make a nice home for my new little garden. Will these herbs improve my cooking? We can only hope. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
 

 

 

 

 

 
 

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment