Friday, August 16, 2019

The Dingy Dress

Hello Readers. I made a skirt and covered containers from this colorful dress. This dress fit well enough but the "white" bodice was not so white anymore. It was kind "gray-ish" and didn't look great. So what to do with it?

Time does bad things to our clothing. Life, water, and laundry detergent all take a toll on clothes. This white part of this dress was not a nice bright white anymore. I really liked the colorful fabric, so I saved as much of it as I could.

I decided to cut off the "bad" part. That left me with a skirt. 

I got a piece of elastic that was the right length to go around my waist. I attached it to the cut edge of the skirt. I wanted to make a comfortable waistband. (Momma's got to eat!) I used a zigzag stitch and put the elastic under the edge.I pulled gently to stretch it a little.

Then I turned the elastic in and under and used a straight stitch and pulled the elastic so it was stretched as I was sewing. The elastic got smaller again when I let it go. It will give and stretch as I put it on.

It makes a nice smooth waistband and it only takes a few minutes. Complicated sewing? Ain't nobody got time for that!

 But what about the top of that dress? The "white" top was not useful for anything but the sleeves still look great. What could I do with them? And what is that oatmeal container doing with my sewing?

The sleeves fit really well on the oatmeal container. They look like cute decorative containers now.

I used a bit of glue to help the silky fabric stay put. I tucked the extra material into the container for now. I will cut off the excess later.

I took the purple tops and removed all the cardboard from the lids. It was a bit of a battle, but I was victorious!

The purple went really well with my fabric. That was a nice bonus. These will be great to hold my sewing scissors, but they could be used for a million things.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 ***Year End update- I gave this skirt to my daughter so I have not worn it again. The 2 cans are on my sewing table holding scissors.

No comments: