Wednesday, May 1, 2019

The Sweatshirt Dress I Didn't Need

Hello Readers.  I found this sweatshirt dress at a clothes swap and liked how soft and light-weight it was. It was more like a t-shirt instead of a sweatshirt. I didn't really need a sweatshirt dress. I have one already. I thought a shirt and a pair of shorts would be better.


This dress wasn't bad at all. I could have worked with it. I liked the drawstring. I liked the rolled cuffs at the sleeves. And it had POCKETS!!!


 I decided to use that drawstring as the waistband of my new shorts. I cut the shirt off and saved it for later.


I used a pattern to cut the skirt into shorts. I had to play with it a little so I could keep the drawstring. This was easy because it was such a stretchy knit material. The dress was long enough to make a pair of shorts and use the extra fabric at the bottom of the skirt to lengthen the shirt.


The drawstring still works in the front and the casing made a great waistband.


 I used the bottom of the dress to add length to the shirt. It worked well. I wanted to make the shirt long enough to meet the waistband of the shorts. I didn't want any pale mom tummy peaking out.

I used some scrap pieces to add a little rough edge to the hem of the shirt. The sleeves and the hem of the shorts are rolled a little to expose the inside/reverse side of the fabric. I wanted to make them all the same.


This is the perfect outfit for exercise, walking the dog, lounging... anything!


Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
  *Year end update-I wore this lounge set countless times. I still like it.

2 comments:

Rian said...

I am so glad I found your blog—it’s great!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Rian! Welcome.
Chickie