Friday, May 3, 2019

The Painfully Tight Dress

Hello Readers. Check out this bright pink dress! It was made by hand! I love finding handmade items at clothes swaps. Someone did a lot of work to make this fabulous cotton dress.


The pink and green color combination was really pretty, but the fit of this dress was horrible. It was difficult to get on, almost impossible to take off, and it was very painful to wear. But the embroidery and ribbon details were so pretty, I wanted to do something so I could wear it.


I decided to open up the neckline. It was stitched closed and there was green fabric filling in the gap. I thought if I picked out the stitches, I could open up the dress and it would be roomier.This idea worked well.


While I was taking out the green fabric I noticed 2 side seams on each side of the dress. (I marked them with chalk so it would be easier to see.) I took out the inner seam so the dress would be bigger. This was a big help. I am so glad I noticed this.


Here is the open neckline. I repaired some of the ribbon that had come loose on the front of the dress. I didn't alter it though. I will need to wear something under it because it is so low cut, but I can actually wear it now.


This was a great summer dress. It was close to 90 degrees Fahrenheit the day I finished this dress. It was the first really hot day of this year but I was ready for it in this cool cotton dress.


Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
  *Year end update-I really liked the colors and style of this dress. I hate ironing it so I didn't wear it much this summer. I need to get over my aversion to ironing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too dislike ironing- I have 2 go- to tricks. One is to tumble a wrinkled item in the dryer with a damp towel. The other is to mix up some fabric softener and water in a spray bottle. Do a light mist and then smooth the wrinkles away. (A spoonful of fabric softener plus a cup of water will do the trick, but you can fancy it up with a few drops of essential oils).

I Can Work With That said...

I am going to try that fabric softener tip. That sounds very clever and easy.
Chickie