Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Make a Pattern & Make Shorts

Hello Readers. I did something new and different recently. I made my own pattern and used it to make the pair of shorts you see below. I have used patterns but I have never made a pattern before. It was fun and I learned a lot.

Check out this amazing dress. It was so cute and the pattern was amazing. It was a little big and the back was very open and strappy. It was impossible to wear a bra that didn't look awful. I decided to make this dress into something else.
 

 I found a blog post about making a pattern for shorts based on your measurements. I just had to measure myself. I made some dots and lines on a piece of paper and I had a pattern. It felt similar to geometry. You can see the instructional post at "The 31 Woman" here.
My daughter helped me quite a bit.
I thought I would have enough fabric in this dress to make the shorts. It was almost impossible, but I made it work. I cut out the 4 panels and stitched them all together. I put a zipper on the side and I had a pair of shorts. A wild pair of shorts.

  A truly wild pair of shorts. There are lots of flowers but can you see some chickens? There are also a few giraffes, fish, and bunnies.

I also made a t-shirt to go with the shorts.

I cut out a basic shirt shape from the body of this shirt.

I used the finished edging of the sleeves to make my sleeves look finished too. I just reattached the edges to the sleeves of the new shirt. 

My outfit was done. I learned a lot by making the pattern myself.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
***Year End update-I loved these shorts. They looked like Lilly Pulitzer and were just so much fun to wear. The shirt was one of those tops I didn't know I needed until I had it.

2 comments:

Rian said...

You never fail to amaze.

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Rian! It was great to make a pattern based on me, and then try to get the fit the best I could.
Chickie