Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Buffalo Plaid Sleeves

Hello Readers. It has been so cold around here. We need to wear many warm layers to stay warm. A sweater is a great layer, but not if it has short sleeves.


This black knit sweater dress would be much warmer with long sleeves. I thought this dress had a hood but it wasn't big enough to stay up on my head. It was just a big collar that spread out across the shoulders. That seemed like it would be nice and warm too. Those short sleeves just had to go.


I decided to replace the sleeves on this sweater dress so my first step was cutting off the existing sleeves. I followed the seam around the arm hole. I didn't remove that seam because the arm hole would really stretch out of it's original shape. 
What was I going to use for sleeves?


Flannel baby! It's a great fabric for cold weather and that red and black buffalo plaid material is so much fun. This was a men's large, so I had a good amount of fabric to use.


I cut the sleeves off the flannel shirt and pinned them to the sweater the best I could. I did some careful stitching with my sewing machine.

Inside out view.
I felt warmer just looking at this dress with it's long flannel sleeves. It was soft and cozy to wear as well.


I later decided to make this into a top just to see how it looked. I love it just as much as the dress.


I know what you are thinking. What about the rest of that flannel shirt? I only used the sleeves. Did I throw away the rest of that shirt?
Of course not! 
I cut the bottom of the shirt off just under the arm holes. I folded it in and connected the cut edge to the bottom of the shirt and I had.....


A long tube or a scarf. I cut my hair shorter and then the polar vortex came. My neck is cold all the time. I am wearing all my scarves, even at home. This colorful red and black flannel will be great for the rest of winter.

The shirt buttons connect the ends to make an infinity scarf.

The body of the shirt was just big enough to make an infinity scarf that goes around my neck twice. It is very cozy too.

So snowy and cold!

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 *Year end update-I still wear and love this top and scarf. I really like red so buffalo plaid is always my favorite.








No comments: