Friday, November 30, 2018

The Denim Dress Toy Box

Hello Readers. I found a dress recently and it made my day. It was long and made of blue denim and I knew exactly what to do with it. I was going to try to cover up some damaged furniture. Let me be honest, my family has damaged almost everything I own over the years. Do you have kids? You know what I mean.


There was something else that encouraged this project. Free batting! Have any of you heard of Thrive Market? It is an online health food store. When my daughter ordered some items they came packed in this padding made of recycled denim. It was about an inch thick. I saved it. My daughter ordered again, and again. After a while I had 3 of these pieces to use for a seat cushion.
 (They don't know me and didn't pay me to talk about them. I just wanted to tell you where I got the free cushion material.)


Here is a simple white toy box that is a little beat up. The top is chipped from my kids and has water marks from plants that I over watered. I could sand and repaint it. Or....


I could cut the bottom of this dress and use it to cover the top and make it into a little cushioned seat. By now you know what I decided to do.


I used 2 layers of cushion. I cut them so they were a bit larger than the top of the toy box. I wanted to have 1/4' of cushion over the edge of the wooden lid. I put the toy box on the floor upside-down. I put it right on top of the denim fabric and the cushion layers. I pulled the fabric over the edge of the toy box lid and used a staple gun to attache the denim to the wooden lid.


 It looked like this when I was done stapling. I trimmed off the excess fabric but the edges looked a little rough.


I grabbed some light blue cord and used my hot glue gun to attach it to the lid and cover up the cut edges of that denim.


Here is the inside all finished. This cording was just to make it look more finished on the inside. No one will see this but my 3 year old when he dumps all his toys out of this toy box. And me when I am picking up those toys. Again. And again. And again.


The top of that dress was cut into a square shape and stuffed with a pillow form. I liked the pocket and thought it would be cute on a pillow.


 Here is the toy box and pillow together. It is a cushy spot for a little guy to sit and look at a book.


Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

2 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

Great idea! And yes, I know all about children and furniture. Good job on the toy box.

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Rozy Lass, I knew the parents out there would be able to relate.
Thanks for the comment.
Chickie