Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Denim Days; Much Too Distressed

Hello Readers. I was overly distressed. Well, my jeans were overly distressed. It was my own fault. I am the one who distressed them.


I loved these pink jeans and those rips and holes were great in hot summer weather. They were like built in air conditioning. It is getting colder and colder so the holes were not nice to have anymore. Maybe I got a little over-enthusiastic with my distressing, I am paying forr it now.  I could stop wearing them until spring comes... but I don't want to.


I decided to line the inside of the jeans behind all the holes and stitch them closed. At least I wanted to try and close the holes the best I could. I chose this brown fabric because it had some pink in it and it was already in my sewing stash. (Using scraps is free!)


 I put the brown fabric into the leg of the jeans and stitched the holes with a zigzag stitch. Some of the holes closed and some of the holes are a little open to let the brown floral fabric show a little. I didn't try to make it perfect, distressed jeans have a messy lived-in look. I didn't want to lose that.


 This is the view from the inside of the jeans after I was done with my sewing. It looks pretty crazy.


I cut off the excess material. It is still a little crazy looking but no one will see that when I am wearing the jeans. 

  The view  from the outside is distressed but the holes are closed. (Is it just me or does the leg on the right look like a face. A sleeping face. Weird.)

I like the closed up holes. The jeans still look distressed. I like that look. I was warmer too, that was my main goal.


*****     BONUS TRACK     *****

Do you have any boot cut jeans in your closet that you haven't worn in a while because they seem too wide at the bottom of the legs? Mine felt like bell-bottoms compared to my skinny jeans.


I wanted to taper the jeans just a little so they were more of a straight leg fit. 


I made them a pinch smaller from the knees down. It was simple but made a big difference.

 Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- These jeans are both worn often, but the pink jeans are 100% my favorites.

No comments: