Friday, October 26, 2018

Denim Days; Jean Jackets

Hello Readers. I found a couple jean jackets a clothes swap recently and they will be the last post in this denim series. I gave this first jacket a glitzy upgrade with bits of trim to dress it up.
 

The jacket fit well but I decided to shorten the sleeves to a 3/4 length just for fun. I started adding trim and ribbon to the jacket. I didn't have a real plan. I put the trim where it seemed to fit best. I put some at the waist, collar, front panels, and in the back. I also tapered the sleeves a bit too.


I kept adding trim until I was afraid I would start to look like a Las Vegas show girl if I didn't stop. This was a fun sewing project because it cleared out some trim from the scrap collection and there was no wrong way to do it. Anything was OK. I just kept stitching until I felt done.


*****     JACKET TWO     *****

This second jacket was basic and simple in a good way. It would go with anything and everything. It was almost perfect. I just wanted to shorten those really long sleeves. Why were the sleeves so long? (Why are my arms so short?) If I rolled up the sleeves they will be very bulky. I really need to shorten them so I can wear this jacket.


I wanted to keep that original cuff but I also needed to remove some of that fabric. I unpicked the stitches and took the cuff off. I removed about 3 inches of fabric from the sleeve and then I reattached the cuff.


I used heavy gold thread made for jeans so the stitching would match the rest of the jacket. This thread made the jacket look like it had always been the way I fixed it. It isn't expensive but it it so thick, you get less of it on the spool. I think it's worth it though.


I can now wear this jacket and use my hands too. It sounds like a small issue but it is annoying when your arms are never long enough.


Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- I had so much fun with these jackets. The ribbon jacket can dress up anything and the plain one goes with anything.








No comments: