Wednesday, October 30, 2019

A Spider Shirt for Halloween

Hello Readers. Today is Halloween. At least in the U.S. Do parents in other countries let their children go door-to-door begging for candy on this day? I need to Google that. I am not really into Halloween but I decided to make something fun and easy to wear that was in the theme of the day.

 Full disclosure: I was inspired by a shirt on Pinterest where they used a button as the spider. You can see my inspiration here.
I started with a plain black t-shirt.
I used some lace from my sewing scraps. This is cheap polyester lace that can go in the washer and dryer. I didn't want anything too delicate. I need to be able to throw my clothes into the washer with no worries that they will be ruined.

I had this spider pin in a drawer for a while and you can see he suffered a couple injuries to his legs. I was sad to see that but I was going to assume that everyone would know it was a spider even with only 6 legs.
He is injured but still going to work today.
I hope the theme of the shirt is obvious. The lace is the spider web and the spider has been hard at work spinning it. I stitched the lace around most, but not all of the neck.

I liked the white thread connecting the spider to the web. It is just a simple piece of embroidery thread attached to the shirt under the lace and at the shoulder seam. (The original shirt had the spider below the lace neckline. I put my spider up on my shoulder. I couldn't place the spider lower on my chest. It looked really weird.  Maybe because my pin is more flashy but it did not look right sitting on one boob.)

This was my final shirt. I liked it and I can remove the pin to wash the shirt. The lace and embroidery thread are sewn on. It was in the right mood for the holiday but not too much of a costume. I wore this in public and didn't feel too conspicuous.
Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- I loved making this shirt and I loved wearing it too. It's a keeper.
***The Next Year End update-  Another year has past. I wore this shirt again and it was a hit at work and my son's preschool.

No comments: