Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Shorts; Done Right and Wrong

Hello Readers. Today's post is about the best and worst of sewing. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, if you will.

These were literally the longest shorts I had ever seen.
These shorts were so long on me it was strange looking. I gave them a big cut and a new hem. They turned out great. So great that it went to my head. I was sure that I was great with a needle and thread.
I wore them to Target to buy laundry soap.


I got over confident and decided to try and make some shorts from this blue skirt. It was very full and gathered. *Spoiler- It was a great skirt but it wasn't a great idea for a pair of shorts.


I used a pattern. I thought the full skirt would provide enough fabric to use the pattern. I was sure it would turn out great.
(It would not turn out great.)


 I thought I could use the waistband of the skirt in the shorts I was making. After I cut the pattern out, I started to get an inkling of an idea that this wouldn't work out quite as I wanted. I knew the full skirt would make full cut or loose cut shorts but this didn't look right.


I did make a pair of shorts. They were very full in the legs. I didn't understand how this would look on a human body. (My human body.)


Here are the shorts with the band of fabric that was left at the bottom of the skirt when I cut the shorts out of the fabric. What am I going to do with that? It's in the scrap pile.


These shorts looked so bad. I did not think they were flattering or attractive in any way. If you want your back-end and your upper thighs to look GIGANTIC, have I got some shorts for you!
  It was a huge mistake to have cut up the skirt. Live and learn, right?


Thanks for reading this post, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- I liked and wore the gray shorts often. The blue disaster was never seen again.

2 comments:

jenny_o said...

That's a shame because the material is very pretty! But you're right, live and learn. Nobody every got far by playing it safe all the time :)

Is it possible to re-cut the shorts and make them back into a skirt? It looks full enough to be a possibility.

I enjoy your refashions so much. I don't comment on them as often as I used to, or as often as I should, but I always read them and think how good you're getting at the whole refashion thing!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks jenny_o! It is great to hear from you! I didn't think of trying to re-make the skirt. that is a good idea. I was pretty angry at those shorts but when I calm down I will check it out.
Chickie