Friday, August 31, 2018

Perfect Pajama Pants

Hello Readers. It is Friday and we are making pajamas. Friday is just the perfect day for pajamas. Everyone looks forward to relaxing on the weekend. Pajama pants are great to wear when you are relaxing.


This cotton dress was at a clothes swap and I think I took it because I really liked the white and blue pattern of the material. I would have called this a house dress. That is what my Grandmom called them. It was not quite a nightgown but it also wasn't for going out. This dress was too big and WAY too long on me. For a long time I wasn't sure what to make with this material because the pattern was really bold. This dress sat for quite a while until I decided to make some nice sleepwear for myself. 


The one great thing about this dress was that it had pockets! That is what I am pointing at in the picture below. I am always happy to find functional pockets in my clothes. The dress also had high slits on both sides under the pockets. That is the open fold of fabric below my hand.


I did not have a pattern for pajama pants but decided to try and make the pajama pants anyway. I closed the side slits with my sewing machine and then used a pattern for boxer shorts. I placed the pattern where it needed to be for the waistband and pocket placement. I wanted the pockets to end up on my hips. The length of the dress would determine how long the pants turned out to be.


I cut out my pieces and they looked like this. I sewed them together and made a casing for an elastic waistband. I accidentally sewed the legs together and had to use the seam ripper to remove all the stitches and re-do the legs.
It would have been very quick sewing if I had not messed up.


Everything turned out well in the end. I wore my new pants while cooking at home as you can see. The pants matched my kitchen exactly. I really do like blue and white.
I was able to keep the pockets intact and they are on my hips at a good height,  just like I wanted.


Thanks for reading this post, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- The title says it all, these pj pants are perfect.






No comments: