Wednesday, July 11, 2018

T-shirt Mania 5; The Accidental Pajamas

Hello Readers. I started out trying to make summer clothes. When I was done I realized I had actually made what looked like pajamas. I actually needed some pajamas so it was a happy accident. (I think most of my life has been a series of happy accidents, but that is a story for another time.)


If you have read this blog before you might recognize this shirt. It was a freebie from the rec center. I wanted to use it for parts. This is the last free t-shirt in my refashion pile. I used them all!


I was going to combine the white t-shirt with this blue tank top. I wanted a tank top with more coverage than this racer-back shirt had. That open key hole is just going to get me sunburned for sure. I used the plain white back of the white t-shirt and made a new back for this blue shirt.


I cut off all this blue trim and used it to finish the edges of my new shirt so it would look nicer and more polished. I was still thinking that this was going to be worn out in public during normal daytime activities and I wanted it to look good .
Things didn't work out as I had planned, but keep reading to see the shorts.


***   PART 2 -  SHORTS   ***

I also had this seersucker shirt from my mom. (Thanks Mom!) It was so thick I didn't think I would wear it in the heat of summer. It felt almost like a light jacket. I really loved the material though.  Could I make a pair of shorts from this shirt? I could try!

  I cut the arms off the shirt and opened the shoulders to make the shirt lay flat. I folded it in half and saw it wasn't big enough for the pattern. I cut open the arms, and attached 2 little squares of that fabric. You can see it on the left side of the picture below.


It was just enough fabric to fit this pattern. Just. Barely. Enough. I cut out my pieces and started sewing. I rarely use a pattern to make clothes. I'm not sure why. But making shorts from scratch was fun too.


I didn't know they would look like pajamas until I tried them on and looked in the mirror. This definitely looks like pajamas to me. (My little guy decided to roll around on the floor in his pajamas for this picture.) Some days are meant for pajamas and relaxing right? Now I am ready.


Thanks for reading this post, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- These were perfect summer jammies. I will wear them again next summer too.

No comments: