Friday, June 22, 2018

Shortening Sleeves

Hello Readers. I really liked this pretty sweater. It is very thin and lightweight. It is barely a sweater really. I loved everything about it. Well, almost everything.


This little sweater is almost perfect. There is only one problem. Can you guess what it is? Yes, that's right. It is too long in the sleeves. I can't even push or roll the sleeves up because they are big bell sleeves. They are full cut and slide right back down my arms. I can't go around like this.


 I decided to cut the sleeves off. They were working against me so I cut them off. I kept the shoulder seam of the sweater intact so the arm holes didn't get stretched out. I stitched the sleeves from the inside of the sweater. The seam helped stabilize the knit material.
 I also removed that little string at the waist. I wasn't so sure I liked that either. The sweater was soft and stretchy around my tummy, the waist tie was not.


Here are the sleeves. I tried to make them shorter but keep the curved shape at the shoulder exactly the same. I was going to reattach them in a shorter length. I wanted to keep the chevron stripes so I took some fabric from the upper sleeve where it was solid black.


Here is my new sweater with 3/4 length sleeves. It looks almost exactly the same as it did before. It was very easy, probably because it was a knit. It was easy to manipulate the material and put back together.


Here is the dramatic change. I can safely and easily use my hands for all sorts of activities. That includes driving.


I like how this sweater turned it out. It does need a shirt under it but that's OK. It is a soft light layer to wear in the summer when the air conditioning is too cold.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

       *Year end update- This sweater is a favorite for sure! I still love it.        

No comments: