Wednesday, June 6, 2018

I Almost Made a Cowgirl Dress

Hello Readers. I really tried to make a dress, but it didn't work out like I planned.
 (That's life, right?) You can see the final results for yourself. 
 

I started with this plaid men's shirt. It was big and baggy, it seemed like it would be long enough to be a dress at first. It was not long enough, I just didn't realize it yet.

 It also looks like I have lost an arm. I don't know what happened in this picture, I still have my arm.


 I put the plaid shirt on my dress form inside out and started pinning to make it fit better. I made new side seams with my sewing machine.


 I also had this white eyelet lace sundress. I wanted to use the ruffle at the bottom to make the shirt long enough for a dress. I was sure this would be a successful plan. I was sure it would be quick and easy too.
 This ruffle was a bad idea. It took a long time for me to realize this as well.


Here is a look at my "dress". I really didn't like it very much. It was looking a little too cowgirl. I just needed some boots and a lasso to start roping a calf. I decided to remove the sleeves thinking that would help. I cut the sleeves off at the shoulder seam. I turned it under and stitched the new armhole down.


I also thought I needed a little lace at the top somewhere to tie in with the bottom hem of this dress. I attached this lace to the front pockets. Did that help at all? I still wasn't thrilled. 
the shoulders look huge, and I started to see that the dress idea wasn't going to work. I would never wear this dress anywhere. It looks like a rodeo costume. That would be OK, if I was at a rodeo.


I don't like to give up so I kept working. I made the shoulders a little smaller and I made the dress into a shirt with a smaller ruffle at the bottom. It is still made of all the same materials but there would be less of them. Maybe it would look less like I was in a wild west costume if it was just a shirt? It was at this point that I realized the ruffle was the problem. 


That ruffle had to go. I cut it off and made a new hem.


Here is my new shirt. I like it so much more with the ruffle cut off. As a shirt it has a little western/plaid flair to it but it isn't as overwhelming. Simple is usually better. I need to try to remember that.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- I love how this shirt turned out. The fit was great and I wore it a lot in the summer.

2 comments:

suzette said...

Just want to tell you that you are always such a great inspiration for me. I love to see your refashions on the refashion co-op. Just reading your comments and seeing your pictures gives me a laugh and always brightens my day. It's just amazing what you do with clothes. Wishing you all the best!

I Can Work With That said...

Wow Suzette! What a great comment to read. Thanks so much, that is so nice to hear.
Happy Sewing to you!
Chickie