Wednesday, April 25, 2018

The Too Bright Dress

Hello Readers. This bright red dress caught my eye. It was hard to miss.


I mean this is B-R-I-G-H-T! These photos don't really do it justice. I think the red was too much for me because it didn't have anything else going on. It is just red, red, red. It was also really low cut. It was too low for me to show you how low. But trust me, it's crazy low.


I wasn't kidding. Why is this dress so low? Who could wear this? The neck line is lower than my chest. It's not really wearable. Even a shirt under it looks a little off.


I thought there was a simple solution. I started by cutting out the tags as close to the seam as I could..


I cut off the bottom of the dress. Now I had a fun top. I also made it a little more narrow in the arms and body. I liked the elastic waist and left about 5 inches as a peplum.

I have a plan for that leftover skirt piece too.

I turned it around and wore it backwards. I liked the bright red as a top. It is bright and fun but there is less of it and it isn't overwhelming like it was as a dress. I left the lower edge unhemmed because the sleeves had a raw cut edge. If the sleeves could have raw edges, so could the hem. 
I also didn't want to make the shirt any shorter by turning it under and making a real hem. This knit material wouldn't fray, so I wasn't worried.
 

Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.
 I will show you what I did with the skirt part of this dress next time.

*This was such a great top in such a great color. It was tragic when I got ink on it and could never get it out.

2 comments:

Angel On The Edge said...

Love what you done here, I've had that idea for a long time.....

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Mary. I hope your idea works well for you.
Happy Sewing!
Chickie