Friday, April 13, 2018

Return of the Free T-shirts

Hello Readers. Free t-shirts are everywhere. You can't escape them.


  At least I can't escape them. I think they multiply at night. I had an idea I wanted to try. I wasn't sure how it would turn out.When I was at the local rec center a few months ago, I found this table. It's free t-shirts! I hate to turn down free anything, so I took a few. I used some back at Valentine's Day.


The thing about free t-shirts is that they are always advertising or promoting something. I didn't want the writing on my shirt. I decided to cut the front of the shirts off and use the backsides of the shirts. I wanted to make something simple and classic, with no writing. Can you make a shirt out of 2 backs? Is that possible? We would find out.


I used my machine to attach the two back pieces together to make one complete shirt. There was one little problem. The white shirt had writing on the sleeve. I didn't like that so I decided to cover it.


I cut a small pocket shape from the front of the red shirt and sewed it onto the sleeve to cover the writing. It was easy and worked like a charm.


Here's the thing? Even I, the maker of this shirt am not sure what side is the front now. Should the red be in front or the white? 
Either way is fine really. It's like 2 shirts in 1. What a deal!


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- This shirt was great for layering. It was eaten by my terrible washing machine. I replaced it as soon as I could.

4 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

Great Idea!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for the comment Rozy Lass!
Happy Sewing to you!
Chickie

Anonymous said...

A reversible top is great for travel! Here's another option for making a top with 2 knit fabrics. First, as you have done, I cut a front from one fabric and a back from the other. Then I cut both front and back with a horizontal cut. You can cut high for a yoke , or low for a waist band, or somewhere in the middle. Then I sew the upper front to the lower back, and the upper back to the lower front. When finished, you will see both fabrics on both the front and back, but switched in position from lower to upper. I like this option for simple pattern mixing.

I Can Work With That said...

Very clever idea! Thanks for sharing.
Happy sewing to you!
Chickie