Friday, February 23, 2018

The Peasant Skirt Shirt

 Hello Readers. I decided to make a new shirt. Dresses are fun but shirts and jeans are kind of my daily mom uniform. You know how it is. You usually throw your clothes on and you need to be prepared for whatever trouble your kids get you into that day. Cartoons, mud-puddles, errands, who knows!


I started with this cropped sweater that I didn't really need or wear. It was short and I couldn't wear it by itself. It always needed to be paired with something else. I was going to add it to something permanently so it was a complete shirt.


I also had this peasant skirt that I never wore. I really liked the fabric and the pattern so I have been saving it for a project such as this.


I cut off the lowest tier of the skirt. Once I cut it off I had a lot of fabric to work with. The fabric really spread out bigger than I expected.


The skirt had 3 tiers and the tier I cut off had a finished edge at the top and the bottom. It would be easy to add to the sweater without a lot of fraying or hemming.


I guessed how much of the skirt fabric I would need.


I used my sewing machine to attach the skirt fabric to the bottom of the sweater. The skirt fabric was already slightly gathered so I just stitched over the top seam that was already there.


I liked how it looked so far but it was still really low cut. That was an issue, but I can fix that.


I took a second piece of the skirt fabric and made a small triangular shape to fill in the front of the sweater. I pinned it in place.


I sewed the small piece into the sweater and I was done. My new shirt is ready to go.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- I liked this but ended up giving it to a pregnant friend because it fit her and her belly so well.

No comments: