Wednesday, February 28, 2018

2 Sweatshirts Into 1

Hello Readers. It is that weird time of year when it is warm one day and cold the next. I decided to make one sweatshirt from two that had serious problems. OK, maybe they weren't "serious" problems. I mean life is full of serious problems. Really, these two sweatshirts just had some minor issues that I wanted to fix.


 Here are the two sweatshirts. The blue sweatshirt was too big and too plain. The brown sweatshirt was really nice but it was too small. I thought they would be a good combination so I got to work putting them together..


Here is the blue sweatshirt. It was a great navy blue color but it was very plain and simple. As you can see it is too big too.

I made the navy blue sweatshirt a little smaller. I tried it on and I made it a little bit smaller again. I curved the sides in and flared the hips out just a little. I also cut off the waistband and wrist cuffs. 

The brown sweatshirt was really nice quality and well made by J. Crew. It said it was a small but I think they were lying. I'm not sure how small the people at J.Crew think woman are, but it must be REALLY small. Because this was a very small shirt. Maybe it shrunk?

I decided to take all the good bits and pieces from the brown shirt and use them to jazz up the blue shirt. I cut off the wrist cuffs, the waistband, front pocket and the collar. I couldn't find a use for the tiny body of the shirt.

 If you look at this picture of the collar you can see I cut it off along the seam but I left about 1/4 of extra fabric around it. I used the extra fabric to pin the collar to the navy blue sweatshirt. After I stitched along the seam, I cut off the excess brown fabric from the edge. I attached all the brown parts to the blue sweatshirt.


You can see the raw cut edge along the collar, the wrists, the pocket, and the waistband. I wanted a casual look and raw edge lets the tiniest amount of white show. It gives the shirt some extra interest and texture. And it is soft, warm, and cozy to wear.

Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- I just wore this a couple days ago. Love it.




2 comments:

mommy.in.austin said...

This is adorable. I need to take tips to work on two sweatshirts I have!

I Can Work With That said...

Hi mommy.in.austin,
Thanks for the comment, I am glad you liked the post.
Happy Sewing to you!
Chickie