Friday, January 19, 2018

Staying Warm In Blue

Hello Readers. I hate to be cold, winter weather is difficult for me because I can never seem to get warm enough. I am refashioning a big pile of warm clothes in the hopes that they will keep me warm. I wanted to do something with this cozy soft blue sweater. As you can see it had really tight skinny sleeves and a big loose body. These sleeves were really tight, and the body was really loose. It didn't make sense to me, they didn't seem to go together. The difference was too extreme.


I decided to alter the body and make it more compatible with the sleeves. I made the body more narrow. I wanted a more traditional shape.


I also had a pair of black pants that were too big around the waist. I don't know why women's pants are always too big around the waist. If I want them to fit around my caboose then the waist is too big. If the waist fits then the hips will be much too tight. I usually try to find clothes that fit the big parts of my body and alter the parts that are too big.


My favorite method of taking in the waist is to make 2 tucks in the back of the pants.


I make the tucks as long as I need to take in the excess fabric. Sometimes I just need to take in the waistband. Sometimes I need to extend the tucks lower and they can end somewhere behind the pockets.


When I am done with the tucks in the back of the pants the waist lays flat against my back.


Now my cozy blue sweater is fitting me better and my pants are not gaping out in the waist.


Thank you for reading, now go make something fun and warm for yourself.

*Year end update- I didn't wear these often. I always wound up picking other things from the closet.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Another great tip with pants that are too big is to make a hole in the waistband and run elastic from one side of the back to the other, then stitch.

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Deb,
I have tried that idea before but the waistband got bunched up and felt bulky. I need to keep working on that idea. It would allow you to remove the elastic later if you needed the pants to be bigger. That would help me during the holidays for sure. haha
Chickie