Friday, November 3, 2017

The Tough Guy Leather Jacket

Hello Readers. Have you been outside today? Outside of my front door is some chilly, cold weather. I had a great faux leather jacket that someone gave to my daughter and when it didn't fit, it came to me. (Thanks Carmen!) I liked the length and the color. (And it looks like I could jump on my motorcycle and ride off because I am such a tough guy. Like I could start a bar fight and win in this jacket.) It fit really well until you look at the arms. The arms don't look so good. Tough guys don't have jackets that hang over their hands like this.
 
 
My hands are in there somewhere. There is too much sleeve to roll up here, so I can't just roll the cuffs up and wear this jacket. It was nice and soft, surely I could just shorten the sleeves right? I have sewn through real leather before. It would be easy to sew through this faux leather, right?
Spoiler Alert: No, it wouldn't be easy at all.
 
 
It was easy to cut through the sleeves. They were so long that I just cut off the snaps and zippers that were at the cuffs. I turned the sleeves under and started sewing on my machine. That is when I realized it wasn't going to work as easily as I thought. The faux leather kept jamming up the presser foot of my sewing machine. It was so soft that it was almost sticky, and my machine couldn't handle it. It refused to sew smoothly. I finally got each sleeve finished and had two puckered wrinkled sleeves. I didn't want to try again because it would just jam up my machine again.
I was really bummed that I had ruined the jacket.
 I decided to try and cover the edges with trim. It would hide the problem and hopefully the trim would be smoother and wouldn't get stuck in my machine.
It worked!
 
 
I wore this jacket to a fabulous place in Frederick, Maryland. It was a bakery called Cakes To Die For. It was amazing. They do a lot of vegan baking as well as avoiding allergens like gluten and nuts. I can't eat wheat or gluten so I was SUPER excited to find treats at a bakery I could eat.
 
 
I wasn't exaggerating when I said I was SUPER excited. (Look at my face. Lottery winners are less excited than I am in this picture.) I had a chocolate cupcake, a chocolate macaroon, a piece of chocolate fudge cake, and a peanut butter cookie. It was a huge sugar rush and I loved every bite.

 
Thanks you for reading my blog and letting me share my refashion obsession with you. Now go make something fun for yourself.
 

4 comments:

stitchinkitchen said...

use a roller foot or masking tape on the bottom of your foot to keep from sticking. Ideally a teflon foot.

I Can Work With That said...

Hi stitchinkitchen! Thanks for the comment and the tip. A Teflon foot??? I didn't even know that was a thing. It sounds like just what I needed.
Happy sewing to you!
Chickie

Anonymous said...

Great article, just what I was looking for.

I Can Work With That said...

That is great. I'm glad you liked it.
Happy sewing to you!
Chickie