Friday, November 17, 2017

A Flattering Hoodie

Hello Readers. I really believe that you can refashion anything. One of my best sources of clothes to refashion is to steal things from my man. If he doesn't wear it often, I will take it for myself. (I am not ashamed.) Today's post is a perfect example. I had this nice big hoodie to work with.
 
 
This hoodie is too big but it is in good shape. I really wanted to make it more fitted but keep the length to cover the caboose when I wear leggings to exercise. I thought it would be nice and warm in the colder weather too. It needed some big adjustments.

 
I used one of my favorite hoodies as a guide. I marked where I wanted to make my new seams on the inside of the blue jacket. I just used my sewing machine to make the new seams on the sleeves and sides of the jacket.

 
You can see in this picture what I removed. I made it more narrow and made the arms smaller and shorter. Sweatshirts are easy to work with because they don't fray. I cut off the extra fabric and didn't worry about it.

 
I added some elastic inside at the waist. I wanted to pull the waist in a little. I thought it would look more feminine. It is still casual but more flattering than the baggy fit it had in the beginning. The best part is that it is just as comfortable and cozy as before.
 
 
I liked the new fit. The longer hoodie is good with leggings. It covers up the backside so I can go out without feeling like a flasher. (My backside is my business.)

 
Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.
 
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

what did you do with the cuffs on the sleeves? did you remove and reattach? How did that work without the cuffs getting stretched out?

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Rebecca, I narrowed the sleeves including the cuff and then shortened the arms and reattached the cuffs on each arm. The material and cuffs didn't fray so it was easy to work with.
Thanks for the comment.
Chickie

mycardattic said...

What a fabulous fit you got here! I have been wondering about sewing some elastic in some of my clothes to make them fit better - I couldn't have found this at a better time - my idea, is to just have a piece about 3 inches long and sew it in the middle of my back at the waist (like you, I am petite - 5' 1" and small framed - so anything loose fitting just drowns me) how easy is it to work with, I haven't had much success with elastic and have been hanging back from doing it in case I ruin things completely! As always, thanks for sharing! Hazel x

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for the comment. I have to admit I have ruined a few things, but I learned a lot. I figure if I am not wearing something, I can take a chance on it.
I hope it turns out well for you.
Chickie