Tuesday, April 11, 2017

A Shower Curtain From a Sheet

Hello Readers. How are you doing? I am enjoying my warmer weather and sunshine. I am not enjoying the wasps that have already started building a nest in my backyard. They all seem to want to get in my backdoor. I watched them this morning and when I found where they were building, I attacked with some wasp killer and ran away like the chicken that I am.

But none of that has anything to do with  my project today. I made a shower curtain for my mom recently. She found a new place closer to where I live and she has been doing some decorating and setting up. She gave me a full size sheet and asked me to make a shower curtain from it. It turns out a full size sheet is the perfect width for a standard bathtub/shower. You could used any fabric you wanted but most fabric from the fabric store is more narrow and you would have to try to match the design at the center seam. Using a sheet is just so much easier and there are so many colors and designs to choose from. You could even match your bedroom/bedding.


I started by spreading the sheet out and then spreading a plastic/vinyl shower curtain liner on top. I am going to used the liner as a guide for marking the holes at the top. I made a small chalk mark at each of the little round holes all the way across the curtain. Using the pre-made liner as a guide will ensure that my curtain fits on the hooks and the curtain rod over the shower.


I (my daughter) made button holes at each of the chalk marks with my sewing machine. It was pretty quick work. I (me) had to hem the curtain a few inches. Depending on the height of the rod the length needed for the curtain will change.


Here is a close up of a button hole. It is pretty standard. I can't think of anything exciting to say about it. 
Yep, that is a buttonhole.


Here is the curtain hanging on the hooks. You can see it gathers nicely and there is plenty of fabric to cover the entire shower. This is a standard American bathtub/shower unit. A twin XL size sheet fits well across a shower stall since it is more narrow. 


Here is a view of the top of the curtain hanging across the rod. 
Yep, that's a curtain rod.


Here is a close up of the curtain on the hook. You can see the hook fits right through the button hole. The fabric is just a bit taller than the plastic curtain so it is nicely hidden.  The curtain is easy to wash and rehang too. 


Thanks for reading and happy sewing.


No comments: